Switzerland’s Caroline Steffen is fast becoming a household name in long course triathlon, finishing second at this year’s Ironman World Championship, and is the current ITU Long Distance World Champion. The 31-year old, known among her team as Xena the Warrior Princess because of her looks, has had a great year winning 70.3 races in Singapore and Geelong, Australia. She proved that she can race long when she came second at Ironman South Africa in April and again at the European Ironman Championships in Frankfurt in July. Coffee loving Steffen studied structural engineering and spent her formative years as a swimmer before racing road bikes professionally for Switzerland. She now races and trains with Brett Sutton and TeamTBB.
1. Describe your first ever bike?
A: My first road bike was a Greg Lemond in an ugly green colour.
2. How did you do in your first race?
A: I finished mid field and swore I’d never do another triathlon.
3. What’s your essential brekkie?
A Aussie Weet-Bix with sultanas
4 Legs shaved, waxed or hairy?
5. Train alone or with a group?
A: Depends on my mood, sometimes it’s better for the group if I train alone.
6. Energy drink, tea or coffee?
A: Definitely coffee. My coffee machine comes with me wherever I go.
7. Where does your bike live?
A: I’m living in a studio apartment right now, so it’s next to the bed.
8. Snickers or energy bar?
A: Mars Bar.
9. Biggest waste of your time?
A: Delayed flights.
10. Craziest place you have slept since becoming triathlete?
A: I’ve slept on the rooftop of my boyfriend’s apartment a few times.
11. Pee on the bike, stop or hold it until the run?
A: On the bike.
12. Three people to have dinner with?
A: Fabian Cancellara, Heath Ledger and Cecelia Ahern.
13. What do you carry with you when you train?
A: My iPod and an emergency Mars Bar.
14. Worst chaffing/sunburn?
A: At the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon. I spent five hours in the desert sun without any sunscreen.
15. Favourite place to ride?
A: The Swiss Alps.
16. What theme music would play to a film of your life and why?
A: Rammstein. I listen to this band all the time during training.
17. Pre-race rituals and meal?
A: Dark chocolate and sex.
18. Funniest person you know?
A: My coach, sometimes…
A: I like reading anything by Cecelia Ahern.
20. What you’ll be doing this month?
A: Eat, sleep and train.